For Immediate Release
Making its debut this August, the Shades of Beauty Expo seeks to celebrate the beauty and strength of women of color through exhibits and demonstrations that embody health and wellness from the inside out while also connecting them with businesses and organizations that acknowledge and appreciate their beauty.
The day begins with the Ambassadors of Beauty Brunch which will honor those who motivate women to love themselves from the inside out, fight to eliminate health disparities and work hard to make sure that every woman understands her worth. Dr. Nekima Levy-Pounds, a civil rights attorney and president of the Minneapolis NAACP will give the keynote address. Levy-Pounds has been at the forefront of the struggle for equal rights for people of color in the Twin Cities and beyond. Through her empowering words, Levy-Pounds will encourage women to change society’s definition of beauty for women of color and break barriers in their lives.
The day continues with the Shades Of Beauty Expo, where attendees can connect with top healthcare organizations, learn hair and makeup tips from industry professionals, get mini makeovers, enjoy relaxing massages, and interact with a diverse group of health and beauty companies.
Experts will educate on how to be beautiful both inside and out through workshops, panel discussions, and demonstrations focused on nutrition, spiritual wellness, fitness, beauty, fashion, and the portrayal of women of color in society. Speakers and presenters include:
• Lissa Jones, Host of Urban Agenda
• Nekima Levy-Pounds, Attorney, Civil Rights Activist, and President of NAACP
• Monique Linder, Founder of OMG Media Solutions and Executive Producer of Rock The Schools
• Sara Rogers, Style Coach and Image Consultant
• Jasmine Brett Stringer, Lifestyle Expert and author of “Seize Your Life”
• Melissa Taylor, Owner of The Beauty Lounge Minneapolis
• Lindy Vincent, Director of Health and Wellness at YWCA of St. Paul
• Kristy Wilson, Owner of Uptown Curls
A Kids Corner will feature hands-on activities for children of all ages such as:
• Coloring Contest
• Story Time and Pictures with Princess Tiana
• Healthy Snack Making Demonstrations
• Fitness Can Be Fun Activities
The Shades of Beauty Expo is still accepting applications for exhibitors with innovative products for hair, nails, makeup, skincare, healthcare, nutrition, or fitness that would like to showcase in a way that empowers women of color to recognize and embrace their beauty inside and out.
Shades of Beauty Expo
Saturday, August 13, 2016
Brunch at 10 a.m.; Expo Noon-6 p.m.
St. Paul Rivercenter, 175 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul. MN
$10 for expo only; $35 for brunch and expo.
Information and tickets for the Brunch and Expo available online at ShadesOfBeautyMN.com